SURF: Announcements of Opportunity
Below are Announcements of Opportunity posted by Caltech faculty and JPL technical staff for the SURF program. Additional AOs for the Amgen Scholars program can be found here.
Specific GROWTH projects being offerred for summer 2019 can be found here.
Each AO indicates whether or not it is open to non-Caltech students. If an AO is NOT open to non-Caltech students, please DO NOT contact the mentor.
Announcements of Opportunity are posted as they are received. Please check back regularly for new AO submissions! Remember: This is just one way that you can go about identifying a suitable project and/or mentor.
Announcements for external summer programs are listed here.
Students pursuing opportunities at JPL must be
U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents.
|Project:||Analysis and development of a predictive model in Traumatic Brain Injury and Stroke using multimodal brain monitoring|
Jeff Chen ,
Professor, Neurological Surgery, (HSS),
|Mentor URL:||http://www.ucihealth.org/find-a-doctor/c/jefferson-chen (opens in new window)|
|AO Contact:||Leslie Wetterings, firstname.lastname@example.org|
NOTE: This project is being offered by a Caltech alum and will be conducted at University of California, Irvine in Orange, California
At UCI we routinely place multimodal brain monitors in patients with head injury or stroke to measure brain pressure, oxygenation, blood flow and chemistry. The ability to use these parameters to predict patient outcome is in its infancy. The development of mathematical models using these different parameters is challenging and is the focus of this project.
|Description:||Correlations with brain measurements of pressure, oxygenation, blood flow, chemistry with clinical outcome and radiographic changes will be used to develop predictive models of outcome.|
1. Zeiler FA, Thelin EP, Helmy A, Czosnyka M, Hutchinson PJA, Menon DK. A systematic review of cerebral microdialysis and outcomes in TBI: relationships to patient functional outcome, neurophysiologic measures, and tissue outcome. Acta Neurochirurgica 2017;159:2245-73.
2. Harary M, Dolmans RG, Gormley W. Intracranial Pressure Monitoring—Review and Avenues for Development. Sensors 2018;18:465.
3. Le Roux P, Menon DK, Citerio G, et al. Consensus summary statement of the International Multidisciplinary Consensus Conference on Multimodality Monitoring in Neurocritical Care : a statement for healthcare professionals from the Neurocritical Care Society and the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine. Intensive Care Med 2014;40:1189-209
4. Bouzat P, Sala N, Payen J-F, Oddo M. Beyond intracranial pressure: optimization of cerebral blood flow, oxygen, and substrate delivery after traumatic brain injury. Annals of Intensive Care 2013;3:23
1. Understanding of biochemistry and cell biology
This AO can be done under the following programs:
<< Prev Record 77 of 126 Next >> Back To List