SURF: Announcements of Opportunity
Below are Announcements of Opportunity posted by Caltech faculty and JPL technical staff for the SURF program. Additional AOs for the Amgen Scholars program can be found here.
Specific GROWTH projects being offerred for summer 2017 can be found here.
Students pursuing opportunities at JPL must be U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents.
Each AO indicates whether or not it is open to non-Caltech students. If an AO is NOT open to non-Caltech students, please DO NOT contact the mentor.
Announcements of Opportunity are posted as they are received. Please check back regularly for new AO submissions! Remember: This is just one way that you can go about identifying a suitable project and/or mentor.
Announcements for external summer programs are listed here.
|Project:||Neural Correlates of Interpersonal Interaction During Flow Experience|
|Mentor:||Shinsuke Shimojo, Professor, (BBE), firstname.lastname@example.org|
|AO Contact:||Mohammad Shehata, email@example.com|
Flow, also known as “being in the zone”, is the mental state of operation in which a person performing an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and enjoyment in the process of the activity. e.g. video games, music performance, sports, surgery, etc.
Few reports have tried to study the neural correlates of flow in some game environments. These reports focused on the individual experience of flow, leaving how the human brains interact to reach the flow state an open question. In this project, we are trying to answer this question using a new game paradigm that involves music and body movement.
Students will be engaged in a running project that includes:
- Psychophysics experiment involving subjects playing video games, where their performance, subjective reports, and physiological measures are recorded.
- High-density two-subject electroencephalogram (EEG) recordings while playing.
- Using Matlab-based tools for the analysis of EEG data including auditory evoked potentials and connectivity analysis.
- Flow Experience: Empirical Research and Applications
edited by László Harmat, Frans Ørsted Andersen, Fredrik Ullén, Jon Wright, Gaynor Sadlo. ISBN 978-3-319-28634-1
- Neural correlates of experimentally induced flow experiences. M Ulrich et al., NeuroImage, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2013.08.019
- EEGlab for analysis: https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/EEGLAB.
Basic Matlab programming skills.
This AO can be done under the following programs:
<< Prev Record 46 of 114 Next >> Back To List